Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sacrifice

Lately I have had some interesting interactions with friends. The main theme across the board is sacrifice. Over and over I find this word being said in our conversations. Sacrifice of our free time to raise children. Sacrifice for our husband's careers, whether that be long periods apart or moving. Sacrifice of our dreams to move forward. Sacrifice of stability to take a risk. The majority of sacrifice being for our futures.

Some sacrifices are large, some small, but all sacrifices are important in order to get to the end goal. The question is, how is it happening to so many of us? Is it our age? Our economy? Our belief and value systems, which may be why we are friends? Whatever it is I feel a strong bond with each, and feel proud that we are all building our futures with so much courage and sacrifice.

 Many say that our generation is full of instant gratification, but all I am seeing is the ability to put off that gratification for a bright future. Interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't put all those pieces together. And I do wonder if it's easier to make sacrifices when we see it happening all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it's just a part of our society, not necessarily our age. It's almost expected of us. "Well, who wouldn't sacrifice for their children?" "If my husband is going to make more money or this helps his career, who am I to stand in his way?" Maybe a woman's mentality also, to nurture. I like your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Ashley. Very thought-provocative. It is annoying being labelled with many of the names of our generation, but I think the influences of prior generations will continue to force us to change and adapt, just as our children will have to change & adapt to the world one day. Hmm, sounds lke circle of life, which is not my point. Just wanted to say that sacrifice is so often viewed as something negative: an opportunity cost along the road to achieving something you want. Perhaps it is more just the entitlement that everyone one of us has that "creates" that feeling of sacrifice? Or maybe not. I just wanted to sacrifice part of my Friday work-day to be involved in this comment-train...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete